Friday, November 7, 2008

Bits N Pieces - A Disjointed Bahamian Novel - D06

(5:13 pm Nov 06, 2005)

After Fulcrum fell asleep, Sarah went to her office in a spare room of the house and sat at her desk and sighed.

She closed her eyes and looked up at the ceiling for a while with her mind's eye. She sighed again and opened her eyes before reaching into a drawer and taking out a leather bound book with a lock.

She pulled a small key on a chain up from her shirt and bent down to insert it into the lock on the book and open it.

She took a pen from a block of wood on her desk and clicked the top with her index finger.

She flipped through the book to the last page with writing on it and then placed it open on her desk. She began to write...

Dear June,

I missed you today but I felt you were close by me even so. I am not sure what happened but Fuller has seemed strange since the gig last night. Not himself somehow.

(7:25 pm Nov 06, 2005)

(Well gentle reader, you see the results of the No Voltage Blues striking today.)

I am worried about him, He doesn't even seem to understand where he is or recognise the normal everyday things of life.

(7:30 pm Nov 06, 2005)

(7:43 pm Nov 06, 2005)

Ever since I first learned of you on that day I was reading old papers in the attic, I have felt a special connection to you somehow, like I had some special understanding of your inner self.

But today, I felt I gained a better understanding, not only of your life, but also of your untimely, sad end. I see how the will to go on living in the face of the loss of a loved one could slip away and leave without one's knowing it was gone until too late.

And to think you lost two on one devastating night so long ago. No wonder you decided to leave this world instead of continuing to live in the bleakness and desolation of such profound loss. I can almost feel within me today how one could simple let go and slide away into eternity.

(7:52 pm Nov 06, 2005)

(9:25 pm Nov 06, 2005)

She heard Fuller stir in the other room and closed her diary and locked it before putting it back in the drawer and sliding it shut. Then she got up and went in to check on Fuller.

"Hey there, are you feeling better?"

Fulcrum looked at her beautiful face so full of concern for him and smiled. "I think I feel better. I am hungry though, is there any more food to eat?"

"Sure thing, would you like some cold pizza?"

Fulcrum didn't know what pizza was but was hungry enough to eat pretty much anything right now, "That sounds fine thank you, can I help you with something?" What was going on? Why was he offering to help her in the kitchen? It just sort of slipped out.

"No, you just take it easy, it is no trouble, I'll just get it out of the fridge. I could pop it in the toaster oven if you would prefer it heated. Yes?"

He didn't know what to say. "Whatever you think is best. Or wait, what would be quicker?"

"Well, obviously cold is quicker, but if you prefer hot, it will just be a minute or two more, can't you wait that long? You act like you haven't eaten in days."

"It feels longer than that. I know I just had a little something last night, but I don't remember ever feeling this hungry before and I can tell you, I have been very hungry before when we got wrecked and washed up on a cay without food for days."

"Fuller! You never told me you were wrecked before! What else have you been hiding from me?"

(9:48 pm Nov 06, 2005)

(10:18 pm Nov 06, 2005)

Well, I got side tracked to do a quick and dirty clean up a vocal file for someone on kompoz using audacity. I am only just learning to use audacity for this purpose. There is a nice (to me so far at least) tool for noise removal in audacity in gnu/linux. I haven't checked to see if it is built in or a separately install package but it is there and that is what I need to know at the moment.

Fulcrum started to get confused and dizzy again. Sarah ran to him and held him in her surprisingly strong arms to steady him and prevent him from falling. "Careful, you could hit your head if you fall."

(10:42 pm Nov 06, 2005)

This is getting totally out of hand again gentle reader. So far to go in so little time and still I am messing about killing time that I don't even have.

I have to find some way to break through this bog, this tar pit, this quick sand, this scummy pond mud that sucks down with each attempted step forward.

"Let's get you back to bed and I will bring your pizza and a drink on a tray for you."

She walked him, stumbling, back to the bedroom and gently helped him to lay down again. "Take it easy, I'll be right back with the food."

When she returned, she was carrying a tray which she set down on the bed. She passed him a plate with some sort of flat pie on it, steam rising in the cool air of the room, "Careful, it's hot, the cheese might stuck to the roof of your mouth and blister you." Now why had she told him that, she wondered. They had eaten pizza together too many times to count and she had never told him anything like that before.

(11:01 pm Nov 06, 2005)

They ate together and drank some ice cold limeade with perfect cubes of ice floating in the glasses. Where had she found ice here in these islands? Was he still in the islands? The air still felt warm.

Gentle reader, I started around five o' clock this afternoon. It is now after eleven and I have just passed one thousand words. How am I to get to two thousand words by midnight? This is going to call for some creative word mongering if I am to get there. That is, unless true inspiration really strikes.

Distractions have to go...

Fuller looked like he was falling asleep again after he finished his food so Sarah packed up the tray and kissed him on the forehead, "I have to go out to shop for a few things and to stop by the club and talk to Jaro about a possible gig this weekend. Try to stay in bed and rest and we can try and talk when I get back later. please don't go out if you are not feeling one hundred percent. I am worried about you and I feel like something bad might happen if you are not careful."

It jarred Fulcrum each time she called him Fuller but he let it pass, he was too drained inside to fight it for the time being. "I will stay in until you get back unless something drastic happens. But, short of the place burning down, I can't imagine what that might be."

Sarah rapped her knuckles against the door frame, "Knock wood. Don't say things like that Fuller! You know I don't like it when you put mouth on us like that!"

He didn't know what had upset her or what exactly she was saying, but he wanted to fix things up, "Sorry, I will just go to sleep now. Wake me up when you get back if you want to."

She turned and left the room.

(11:22 pm Nov 06, 2005)

Fulcrum lay back on the soft pillows and was soon asleep and dreaming.

***

When Sarah went upstairs to the club, they were just cleaning up and beginning to prep the place for the afternoon opening, "Anyone seen Jaro yet today?" she asked.

"He was here earlier but he left," said Frank, the club owner and manager, "He said he would be back around four thirty five."

Sarah looked at her watch, two p.m., that would give her time to do some shopping and perhaps some banking and a few other errands and get back in time to speak to Jaro. She decided she had enough time to listen to a song or two before leaving.

Hey Mister Space Man
Can I hitch a ride today
Your bound for somewhere special
At least that's what they say
It seems your countdown
Ends right at noon
So will you be calling
On mars or Venus soon
Or could it be old Saturn
With those lovely rings and moons

Hey Mister Space Man
Can I hitch a ride today
My life is crumbling fast
And I have to get away
They say you're blasting off
Exactly right at noon
Good thing I heard the word
You know it was none too soon
Could you take me out to Pluto
Or maybe further still

She sort of liked that one. Then The Radio Song came on.

Well I woke up this morning
Turned my radio on
And the DJ was laughing
He was playing that song

So I called to de-request it
But no one picked up the phone
Didn't block my caller ID
Man my head is like a bone

I'm going crazy
Why did you leave me
I need a new plan
To start a flame

When I reached to the office
I tried to call your phone
But your mother she done told me
That you were not at home

So I asked her to tell you
To call me back today
But she said that wasn't happening
That you had gone away

I'm going crazy
Why did you leave me
I need a new plan
To start a flame

Well tonight I met a new girl
And she looks just like a song
So I wrote down all the words
And I had to sing along

So I sent it to that DJ
And I know he'll put it on
Then when you hear it on the airwaves
You'll know why I'm never home

I made a new plan
To start a flame
I found a new girl
She chased my pain

Far away.

That one wasn't bad either. Then their own New Pirate Song came on...

It's a pirate that I be
And I sail upon the sea
And the fathers and the mothers
And the brothers of the damsels
They are all afeared of me
Cause when the damsels I do see
And when the damsels they see me
There is no hope left
Their hearts are for my chest
A treasure fair reserved for me

"Hey Sarah!" called Frank from the kitchen, "What was up with Fuller the other night? It was almost like he didn't know the songs except for this one. And even with this one, all he did was sing some and he was even off on that. I mean, he had more raw energy and power in his voice than I have ever heard him put into a song before, but it was like he had never sung it with you all before."

"I know, he just is not himself since last night."

"Well then, tell him I hope he feels better soon. Will he be OK for the gig this weekend?"

"I will tell him you send your best wishes when I get back later. Listen, I really have to run, tell Jaro I will be back later. I'll try and get here before five but ask him to wait for me if I am not back by then."

"Sure thing," said Frank.

(11:28 pm Nov 06, 2005)

(11:54 pm Nov 06, 2005)

Well, gentle reader, midnight is getting close and so am I. I think I will make it and get to go to sleep.

And, done. Goodnight gentle reader.

(11:56 pm Nov 06, 2005)

No comments: