Monday, October 12, 2009

Bits N Pieces - A Disjointed Bahamian Novel - D10

(3:18 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

Welcome to another day of nano novelling gentle reader. Another post mid day start. Another day possibly slogging and hacking through the dense underbrush of the desert of ideas. (Dig that if you can!)

***

"A different us? A different us!" spit Sarah, "Jaro, that girl is going to break up our band!"

"No, Sarah, she's not going to do any such thing. Our band is safe and will not break up unless we break it up. I for one don't plan on breaking it up. Do you? Do you Fuller?"

"No, of course I do not intend to break it up! How could you say that Jaro," said Sarah. Fulcrum sort of shook his head no in a way that might be missed.

"Well?"

"Well?"

"Well good then, we won't be breaking up anytime soon then," said Jaro, "So let's just drop it OK?"

"OK then, let's drop it, but don't listen to that girl!"

"Sarah, you are fixing to yuk up my vexation now."

***

Taniqua had gone as far west as she intended and decided to swim in and jog back rather than swim back so she brest stroked in to shore and shook herself off to get as much water off as quickly as possible and then started jogging at an easy pace back towards the picnic site.

She came around a bend in the beach and saw Jaro sitting with some of his band. What were they doing here? Those two were an anchour around Jaro's neck and he couldn't see it. What could she do to make that clear to him? She couldn't afford to get up in his business too much. But he wanted this too much to let him go on wasting his time like this.

***

Jaro spotted Taniqua jogging towards them on the sand. Ohh, she looked fine like that. It was a shame sh didn't want to do rock, she would make a nice addition to the band. She could be quite an attraction.

***

When Taniqua got close, she slowed to a walk and waved, "Hey guys, what's everyone doing today? What brings you two out this way?"

"I thought Fuller needed some fresh air and I needed to talk to Jaro some more about something we started on the other day."

"Well, I hope you got everything sorted."

"No, we never really got started, we sort of got sidetracked on to something else and never got back on track."

(4:01 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

"Oh, what did you get sidetracked with?"

"Just some band stuff, no big deal really, I think we got it all sorted," said Jaro.

"I see. OK then," said Taniqua glancing at Fuller out of the corner of her eye. He seemed different some how. More attractive, more vulnerable. And more exotic some how. She thought she saw him looking her way a few times. That was odd as he was always so devoted to Sarah. She felt a little charge of electricity run through her. She smiled at him and dipped her chin the next time he looked her way. A little flutter of the lashes to round out the effect.

(4:46 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

***

Well gentle reader, you just get going a bit when for no reason that you can determine, you run up on brakes. That's the breaks I guess. And that, gentle reader is quite a groaner.

You find yourself on a day when you need to crank open the valve and unleash the volume but instead the flow dries to a trickle, like some stream through some barren land that evaporates and seeps into the parched ground to leave no usful flow by the time it comes your way. And so you have to pull up roots and go wandering over the surface of the eartt in search of the flow you need. Become a nomad of the artistic world. Will you ever again find a home? A place to put down roots and join in to a community of other's. Like minded beings seeking to bring forth creations to touch the inner life of others. Some still wanders and some having put down roots into the rich, organic loam of creation.

(5:12 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

And then you find some call to some herky jerky martial arts practice when you don't even practice such arts. Just one more thing as it were. But then it is just one more things after that and just one more thing after that one more thing and so on and so on ad infinitum. And I'm not talking fleas. Nor ticks either. But you find a way to break loose and run back to your writing cave and dive in. To a dry desert lake. Salt covered and bitter. Biutter but better. An improvement to your previous unsatisfactory and sad state. Are we depressed yet? Good. Are we suffering enough for our art yet? Good. Are we finding strength in adversity yet? Good. Now get on your bikes and ride out over the land. Planting Johnny Apple Seeds of literary profusion wherever your go. And then one day, perhaps far in the future, you will pass this way again to encounter literary and artistic orchards unlike any you had ever imagined.

And so now you are beginning to feel better. Why? Because of the prospect of the flow of words being loosed at some giagantic and far off literary dam. Upstream. Up in the mountains. In the rareified air. Words come tumbling down as from some verbal rain storm. Some verballly wet hurricane perhaps, stalled over some far off peak.

And, to prevent the dam from failing under the onslaught, the gates have to be opened and the words have to be turned loose. To be sure in some disjointed, unorganised fashion. But running down to the literary sea in some gravity fueled race foir life. Running psat you one the way down. And so you get to reach out and take a few for your purposes. Take a few from the vast, tumbling, chaotic richness where only moments before there were none.

But always, some where deep in the back is a small fear that the great torrent will once again abate and leave you thirsting. Wandering over vast dried up sandy dunes. Dunes made up not of grains of sand but of letters ground down from words. Wandering from one oasis to another. But not yet!

For now the torrent continues.

(5:29 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

(6:01 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

The thing is, even though the torrent continues, you cannot just get up and walk away and waste time and exoect the words flowing by to some how mysteriously select themselves for your benefit. To some how just put themselves down on your page even if it is a virtual page in some computer's random access memeory, Not today. No, not today, but it does give me an idea for a script I may try and develop before next year's nanowrimo. A script based on my story writing program but one that scours the internet looking for suitable words to include in a horrid computer generated excuse for a novel. Or will someone beat me to it?

We shall see and time will tell. Because, as we all know by now, time is a snitch.

(6:06 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

(6:41 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

Nor can you get up and leave your house and go next door looking at paintings on the walls and expect that when you get back, there will be more words that have self selected and auto assembled for your esteemed benefit. No. That is not likely to happen. At least, it didn't happen for me just now when I tried it. It was a nice break though.

***

It was a day
Just like any other day
She was a girl
She said she came to stay
But some how I
Felt she would slip away
Into the mists
Of my fractured bliss

It was a day
Just like any other day
It was a day
It was this very day
Three years ago
When she slipped away
And set me free
And I just want to say

Why'd she have to go and leave me!
Why'd she have to go and break my heart!
Why'd she have to go and walk away!
Why'd she have to tear me all apart!

It was a day
Just like any other day
She said hello
My heart was swept away
She captured me
A player in her play
But now she's gone
And all I have to say is

Why'd she have to go and leave me!
Why'd she have to go and break my heart!
Why'd she have to go and walk away!
Why'd she have to tear me all apart!

***

I've got a word for you baby
Come let me whisper in your ear
I've got a word for you baby
A word I know you want to hear

It's just a four letter word
And I could tell it to a bird
Who could fly right to your shoulder
And tell you cause he's bolder
But that ain't what I need to do

I've got a word for you baby
Come let me whisper in your ear
I've got a word for you baby
A word I know you want to hear

***

(7:01 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

(7:17 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

And you blink and the minutes dash out the door.

***

I'm an out island cowboy
I ride the waves and not the range
Yes I'm an out island cowboy
I ride the waves and not the range
I go out hunting grouper
Hunting conch and other things

I'm an out island cowboy
I love to be out on the blue
Yes I'm an out island cowboy
I love to be out on the blue
I ride out on the ocean
Then I ride on home to you

***

(7:34 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

No, no, no, no, no! I cannot let this get away from me now. I was moving along just fine count wise if not quality wise and especially not plot wise or story wise but things are slowing down and I cannot afford anything likethat for the rest of this week and all the way through to the end of next Sunday. I have to keep the words going.

***

Fulcrum looked at Taniqua out of the corner of his eye. She seemed to be looking at him with a bit of womanly interest. Wenchly interest possibly. She was a little darker than he normally went for but she sure looked good. He better watch himself though, this new world of his was still a mystery. He got the feeling that it might take him a while to get the hang of things and make a go of things on his own. And what was he doing even looking at another woman anyway when here he was living with his dream. With his green eyed lady. With Sarah.

But was Sarah really his green eyed lady? Or was she some parallel green eyed lady just as he was not this Fuller person they thought he was?

What would Sarah do if he showed interest in another woman? And especially this other woman. This woman that she seemd not to like very much.

If only he were back in his own time. Things made more sense for him there. Sure, things weren't perfect. Far from it. But he knew his place. He had plans. Things he wanted to accomplish. And somehow, despite his initial thrill at being with Sarah, he was beginning to wonder about that. The connection he had felt that first night on the porch just did not seem to be there. There was no tingle ot be honest with himself. And there used to be a tingle. At first he had told himself that it was just caused by the dislocation he had experienced but after a few days when it did not return he began to feel uneasy.

(7:57 pm Mon Nov 10, 2008)

No comments: