Monday, October 12, 2009

Bits N Pieces - A Disjointed Bahamian Novel - D19

(3:02 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

After lunch, Joshua said he had to get back to Spanish Wells so Fulcrum thanked him again and he headed off to his boat. Fulcrum headed down on to the beach with the intention of checking out his old cache.

It had only been a few days really in Fulcrum's time frame since he had made his little stash but the beach seemed strange and changed. Dunes had changed, trees were not where he had left them, paths gone, buildings everywhere. His head started to swim and he felt a little panic coming on.

He walked the beach from one end to the other hoping to get his bearings and then did it again. A couple of more times.

(3:18 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

***

After that he had wondered back in to town to the street by where the green-eyed lady's house had been. He noticed from time to time that someone would go in to the yard and stop and read something before heading on down the street. Curiosity finally got the better of him and he ventured in to see what the plaque said.

June Roberts lived on this land
She gave so much and died too young
A broken heart at so much loss
She could not carry on
But faded right away
As her green eyes
Faded to grey

What did this mean? Was this about his green-eyed lady? If so, what had happened to her? How had she died? When? What had caused it? How could he find out?

He left the yard and set off aimlessly, wandering about the streets of the town where people he passed tried to say hello.

(3:28 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

***

Fulcrum woke up the next morning cold, stiff, and still confused. He had spent the night on the back porch of a house that had seemed unoccupied to him. He had considerd breaking in and spending the night indoors but had decided not to risk it so early on his return to the island.

He did not know what he was doing here or how long he might stay here but he didn't want to cause any trouble before he knew how things might work out.

***

Well gentle reader, welcome to another day of words. How will things play out today? What will these characters get up to? What word count will be reached for the day? Who cuts your hair?

(3:37 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

(4:42 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

Obviously no way to get to four thousand today but I was only going to shoot for three thousand today tops as I haven't got the gumption to go for more today. Lethargy and what not eh?

And to tell the truth, with a start like this, I may shut down at two thousand and try to take a better run at things tomorrow.

***

I'm, exactly like you
Girl I need a lover
Who hasn't a clue
Why don't we hook up
And do what we do
True love can strike us
Clean out of the blue

***

(5:05 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

And it doesn't look like it is getting any better right up in now does it gentle reader.

***

Fulcrum went in to town and got a bite to eat from store by the bay before heading back over to the ocean beach to see if he could get a better feel for things with a frest start to a new day.

***

Sarah woke up in a funk. She had to get some energy together and try to figure out some plan for finding Fuller. She called around to everyone she could think of. To his old friends he hadn't seen in years even. And then she thought she had nothing to lose and called his old enemies as well. Nothing.

Then she started to get mad at Fuller. Really mad! Who did he think he was doing this to her? Didn't he know what grief he was causing her? Did he care what his leaving with no word was doing to her inside? He was supposed to love her! What kind of twisted mind thought this was love!

Then she decided that if he could leave with no notice she could do the same and she went online and booked herself a trip to Abaco.

An hour later she went back online and cancelled her trip to Abaco.

Half an hour after that she went back online and booked herself a trip to Orlando. She went into her room and pulled down a small rolling suitcase and threw some clothes and toiletries into it and drove out to the airport and parked in the long term parking lot in front of the international departures building.

She was running late and ran into the building to meet a long line at the bahamascare check in. She was about to panic when she decided to go for it. She turned on her charm and her sob story and worked her way ahead in the line, calling on the sympathy of those who were ahead of her and saved herself about a half hour of line time.

"Passport please! Where are you going today?"

Sarah passed over her passport, "Hi, I am trying to make the flight to Orlando and am running a little late."

"You should be able to make it if you are lucky."

(5:30 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

(5:50 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

***

No Voltage Blues Just rained down! Later and who knows for how long!

(7:59 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

***

The No Voltage Blues

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

My U.P.S. is beepin
It wakes me from my dream
And man she was a sweet ting
Ate least thats how it seemed

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

My A.C.'s sittin quiet
My room is gettin warm
I lie right here and sigh it
Aint no sign of a storm

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

I'm tryin to write my novel
In thirty short, short days
And now just like the last year
Gots to pray they change their ways

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

***

Well gentle reader, The power came on around seven or just after but I have been wasting time since then fighting this writers block. These restraining chains as I sometimes call them.

***

(8:16 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

Yup, the no voltage blues. Painful slow downs.

***

Sarah got through US immigration and customs and took the escalator upstairs just as the flight was called.

She queued up and made it through the door and headed for her gate. And she got picked out for a frisking. She always just loved that.

***

When Fulcrum got to the beach, the wind had picked up and the breakers were rolling in from the ocean. He went back down on the sand and walked with the ocean on his right until he came to the honeycomb rocks and turned around. He walked back slowly trying to estimate where he may have hid his stash of booty.

He walked slowly until a feeling came on him that his was in the right area. He laughed to himself. He tried lining up a breaking wave with the ends of two clouds, a grey one and a white one. That should pinpoint his spot.

He looked around carefully. What was it that made this spot seem like the right spot. Was it that tree there back behind the dune? That might just be it. was his memory being affected? How? Even though to him it had been less than a month, could the fact that all these years seperated the hiding and the searching be playing tricks with his memory?

(8:46 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

Well, if this was the place, there could be problems, there was a house on the dune with a deck overlooking the beach, and already there were people up there sitting and enjoying the day. How was he to dig up under there without being seen?

***

(9:53 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

Wow! Where did that time go? Up in smoke like a baby grand? No bang bang huh?

Who knows but it is time to get a move on and get the word production level kicked up a notch. I mean, dunp whatever little story line there may have been today right out the window and just spew out words until we get to at least two thousand nitty gritty words.

Well, except for this little detour for a quick IM question.

(10:03 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

Well, IM ping done... awaiting IM pong. I may run out on pong arrival.

Now this doesn't seem quite right. Five hundred words of sprinting to a two thousand word finish line just seems wrong. You know it does and I know it does gentle reader, but times and measure and so fourth.

And let's just not mention the three word tonight shall we. Anf the four word? What a joke right?

***

Fulcrum tried getting in to position for a little exploratory digging several times during the day but soon realised that there was no way he was going to get away with it as long as anyone was on that deck. He decided to wait until after dark and try again so he walked back in to town for a late lunch from a vendor down by the public dock.

(10:17 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

***

After lunch he found himself drifting back to the green-eyed lady yard and sort of hanging about in the vicinity. Just as had happened yesterday, from time to time, people would enter the yard and read the plaque before moving on.

He noticed on particular middle aged woman took longer than usual standing before the plaque before bowing her head for a while and then laying a single red hibiscus on the ground at the base of the plaque. When she turned and looked his way before heading out of the yard, Fulcrum noticed her sea green eyes.

He sucked in his breath.

He almost fell into her eyes.

She smiled at him and passed out of the yard and on to the road.

He shook himself and began walking in her direction.

She did not look back towards him but set a brisk pace in the opposite direction.

***

The Bahamascare plane landed in Orlando and Sarah got off and took the monorail to the main terminal to the baggage claim and then went outside and caught a shuttle bus over to the rental car lot and arranged for a red convertible sports car for a week.

She drove out of the lot with no clear idea of what she wanted to do next but she somehow ended up on the Bee Line headed east. She didn't get off until she ran in to I 95 where she picked it up heading south.

(10:36 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

She got off I 95 at 192 and headed east towards the beaches. She passed a military academy and took the old route through the old down town, stopping for a bite to eat at a mom and pop place she that caught her eye.

***

(10:42 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

And now for the final push. One last blast. One last blast of wordly production. One last blast and the tape may be broken.

This is not good gentle reader. I have passed the two thousand word barrier, but my spreadsheet is telling me that I will not reach my goal at this rate. I need to find a way to squeeze out a little more production even though my inner writer screams abuse and my inner editor just laughs at me with some poorly hiden glee. Like some founding member if The Inner Editors Glee Club no doubt.

***

(10:48 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

After her late lunch, Sarah hopped back in her car and headed out to the beach over the causeway. She noticed dolphins in the river and smiled at the pelicans flying in formation skimming the wave tops.

She hit A1A and headed north, stopping when she saw an old style beach side surf motel. She pulled in and checked in, asking for and getting a room overlooking the ocean.

She drove her car around to her room and took her bacg in and threw it on the bed. She opened it and looked ofr her bathing suit. She must be crazy she thought, it was too cold for a swim but the sun had broken throught and she felt a need to be outside and near the sea.

But... no suit, she must have left it on the bed in her rush.

She thought about heading back to a surf shop she had seen on the way but pulled on a pair of old cut oof jeans and a Hope Town T-Shirt and headed out to the beach instead.

(11:05 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

She walked down to the shore line and let the water wet her long brown legs but the cold shocked her and she ran back up the beach started walking along with the ocean on her right.

There were a few die hards out on the water in wet suits surfing and she watched as she walked along.

***

(11:11 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

Well, gentle reader, I wanted to see that number turn from red to green but unless that happens on this last count, it is not going to happen tonight. I will let you know tomorrow how that turns out.

If only those No Voltage Blues had not hit me tonight.

One more time then for good luck!

***

The No Voltage Blues

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

My U.P.S. is beepin
It wakes me from my dream
And man she was a sweet ting
Ate least thats how it seemed

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

My A.C.'s sittin quiet
My room is gettin warm
I lie right here and sigh it
Aint no sign of a storm

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

I'm tryin to write my novel
In thirty short, short days
And now just like the last year
Gots to pray they change their ways

I got the no voltage blues
I got the no voltage blues
Yeah, B.E.C. is messin with me
I got the no voltage blues

***

(11:13 pm Wed Nov 19, 2008)

No comments: